Red Apple Day Care’s philosophy is to encourage children to pursue learning together, in an engaging and nurturing environment, supported by dedicated and caring early childhood educators. We believe that children are confident, competent, and resourceful learners who are capable of constructing their own knowledge of the world around them. We aim to build relationships that support children to:
- Feel a sense of belonging, wellbeing, and a strong sense of identity.
- See themselves as constructive contributors to the community.
- See themselves as valued and unique individuals.
- Learn respect, responsibility, and care for each other.
We believe that:
- Each child has their own individual rights to:
- Feel safe and secure in their environment.
- Be unique and to be able to express their ideas, creativity and feelings naturally and freely.
- Have fun and learn to develop skills through a play based environment that is a balance of quiet and busy activities, indoor and outdoor play and individual and group needs.
- Be in a nurturing and enriched environment which develops and extends their talents.
- Be in a well-balanced program which fosters the development of the whole child through the development of their physical, cognitive, social, emotional, language and literacy skills.
- Nutritious meals, clean and healthy environment staffed by early childhood teams that have the children’s health and physical well-being in mind.
- A planned curriculum fosters learning in young children:
- Our curriculum has goals for children to support self-regulation, identity, social inclusion, health and well-being, language and thinking skills, physical skills and the foundation and concepts needed for literacy and numeracy.
- The curriculum provides structure and direction for the Early Childhood Team to support the development of capacities and skills while respecting a child’s interest and choices.
- Our curriculum is play based as play is a means to early learning that capitalizes on the children’s natural curiosity and exuberance of the environment that they are situated in.
- Ongoing sharing of information with families about their child either formally or informally and through collaboration with the families there is a continuity of learning between home and the childcare center.
- That a child learns best when surrounded by knowledgeable and responsive early childhood practitioners who are sensitive to the needs of each child, well-educated and experienced in early child development:
- Our staff teams consist of Registered Early Childhood Educators and Assistants.
- Early Childhood teams are knowledgeable about child development and they understand that play is the essence of learning for young children.
- Early Childhood teams are strongly encouraged to participate in professional development through formal training, workshops, mentoring others, networking opportunities to keep their skills current to the times.
- Teaching staff support reflective practices by using the guidelines set to practice in the Early Learning for Every Child (ELECT) as a tool in the classrooms.
- There is a strong partnership with families and communities to meet the needs of children.
- We support families in their role as primary caregiver and educators.
- We encourage parental feedback, involvement and participation in our programs.
- There will be an ongoing sharing of information with families about their child either formally or informally.
- Providing parents with resources of services in the community and on other family services to provide extra support for their families.
- Participate with other community groups, agencies and services to share resources and develop a support network.
- We are aware of and respond, where possible, to the changing needs within our community.
- A partnership between the family and early childhood team is essential to positive experiences for the child.
- We respect diversity, equity and inclusion as a form of optimal development and learning for the children who are in our care.
- We recognize the importance of communication and collaboration between families and educators to form positive relationships and a strong partnership.
- We will support families in their parenting role and share with them information of benefit to their child’s development.
- We will encourage families to be active participators through sharing cultures, ideas, knowledge, strengths and differences.
In a safe, loving, respectful environment, children have the greatest opportunity to grow and develop. We strive to create an environment that is fulfilling, enriching and supporting of all possible learning and growing opportunities.