Frequently Asked Questions:
- What happens when my child develops symptoms of illness while in care?If your child develops symptoms while in care, you will be asked to pick them up as soon as possible. The center has an illness policy, depending on what symptoms your child has, they may be excluded anywhere from 24 to 48 hours or until they are well enough to participate in the program.
- What are your staff qualifications?Most of our Red Apple staff are Registered Early Childhood Educators and a few Early Childhood Assistants. All of our staff are CPR and First Aid certified along with having a clear vulnerable sector checks. All staff upgrade their skills throughout the year by taking workshops, courses, peer shadowing, etc. Our staff are always striving to learn so that we are able to incorporate that into all of our daily programs.
- What kind of security do you have?To enter the building you must ring a doorbell that has a visual camera and speakerphone, please identify who you are so that we can let you in. We do not allow anyone in the building that we don't know or are familiar with. The health and safety of our teachers and children is very important to us. We do a lock down procedure and fire drills throughout the year so we all know what the protocol is in case of an emergency.
- How many meals or snacks do you provide per day?We provide a morning snack that has 3 food groups, a hot lunch that has all 4 food groups, an afternoon snack that incorporates 3 good groups, and a late snack at 5:00 p.m. for those children who are still in care until 6:00 p.m.. All meals are provided by our catering company Real Food for Real Kids, please see their menu in nutrition page.
- How do you mitigate the spread of germs through the day?Cleaning is done throughout the day from sanitizing high and low touch surfaces and disinfecting toys after each use. Enhanced cleaning is also done prior to accepting children in the morning and at the end of the day before we leave for the day. We make sure that our space is clean throughout the day to mitigate spreading on germs. As our children are young and very explorative, we cannot always see what needs to be cleaned but we try our best to wash and sanitize all toys and surfaces.
- What do I need for my child to start?
Before your child’s first day, you need to go on our waiting list. Please fill out all the pertinent information so once we have a space, we we can contact you. Once a placement has been make, the center will send you all the forms via email, or you can come to pick up a hard copy. Please fill out the forms in it's entirety, include sending a copy of the child's immunization card, any allergies we need to be aware of, etc. We would require all paperwork back before the start date so we can start a file on your child. If you would like a tour to see the program your child will be situated in, please set up a date and time to come see the premises so our supervisors can show you around and introduce you to the program and teachers your child will be put in.
- Does my child need to be potty trained before starting Preschool?No, each child develops differently from one another and it is not a requirement for the children to be potty trained to start preschool (2.5-4yrs). Once in our care, we work through potty training in our program where we take the children's cues and enhance their confidence and toilet readiness. Most children train very quickly once they are around their peers who are toilet trained.
- Are you closed on STAT holidays?Yes, we are closed for all STAT holidays that are recognized by the province. Fees are not rebated for STAT holidays, they are included in the monthly fee that is charged to the parents.
- Do you charge parent daily fees for when a child is on vacation or sick?Yes, we change fees for the full month and parents must pay regardless if the child is on vacation or home due to illness. Fees are charged as the center is still incurring expenses during those absent days.
- What are your hours of operation?Red Apple is open from 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. We ask parents to pick up your child before 6:00 p.m. as there is a charge of fees in the amount of $1.00/minute. Our teachers work an 8 hour shift and they need to get home to their families, hence the late fee charge.
- Can I have a tour of the classroom?We are happy to have parents come in for a tour, please make an appointment so our Supervisors can book time to show you the premises and give you an overview of the program.